The Politics of Citizen Participation in New Democratic ArenasAuthor/Editor:
Vera Schattan P. Coelho,Andrea Cornwall
New Pb 270 pp.Subject:
Edited by Andrea Cornwall and Vera Schattan Coelho
This book addresses one of the greatest challenges of our age: that of building democratic polities where all can realize their rights and claim substantive citizenship. In recent years, innovations in governance have created a plethora of new democratic spaces in many countries. Yet there remains a gap between the intention to institutionalize participation and the reality of exclusion of poorer and marginalized citizens. Through case studies of a diversity of institutions - hospital facility boards in South Africa, a national-level deliberative process in Canada, sectoral management councils and community groups in Brazil, India, Mexico and Bangladesh, participatory budgeting in Argentina, NGO-created forums in Angola and Bangladesh, community forums in the UK, and new intermediary spaces created by social movements in South Africa - contributors examine how the democratic potential of these new spaces might be enhanced.
Table of Contents
Foreword - John Gaventa
1. Spaces for Change? The Politics of Participation in New Democratic Arenas - Andrea Cornwall and Vera Schattan P. Coelho
Part I - The Challenge of Inclusion
2. Brazilian Health Councils: including the excluded? - Vera Schattan P. Coelho
3. Spaces for participation in health systems in rural Bangladesh: the experience of stakeholder community groups - Simeen Mahmud
4. Gendered subjects, the state and participatory spaces: the politics of domesticating participation in rural India - Ranjita Mohanty
5. Social change and community participation: the case of Health Facilities Boards in the Western Cape of South Africa - John J. Williams
6. Civil organizations and political representation in Brazil's participatory institutions - Graziela Castello, Adrián Gurza Lavalle and Peter P. Houtzager
7. Inclusion and representation in democratic deliberations: lessons from Canada's Romanow Commission - Bettina von Lieres and David Kahane
Part II - The Politics of Institutionalised Participation
7. Negotiating participation in a Brazilian Municipal Health Council - Andrea Cornwall
8. Subverting the spaces of invitation? Local politics and participatory budgeting in post-crisis Buenos Aires - Dennis Rodgers
9. Participation, mutation and political transition: new democratic spaces in peri-urban Angola - Sandra Roque and Alex Shankland
10. Participation, mutation and political transition: new democratic spaces in peri-urban Angola - Sandra Roque and Alex Shankland
11. Citizen participation in South Africa: land struggles and HIV/AIDS activism - Bettina von Lieres
12. Whose spaces? Contestations and negotiations in health and community regeneration forums in England - Marian Barnes
About the Authors:
Andrea Cornwall is a Fellow of the Institute of Development Studies at the University of Sussex. Her research interests include the ethnography of democracy and the politics of citizen engagement in governance.
Vera Schattan Coelho is a researcher and research group co-ordinator at the Brazilian Center of Analysis and Planning (CEBRAP) in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Her interests centre on new forms of citizen participation, deliberation, and consultation to improve social policies and democracy.
Credit Cards (Mastercard & Visa)
We currently accept Mastercard and Visa credit cards. Your credit card information is secured and safeguarded when shopping at Youbeli.com. All information are encrypted and sent through secured and protected channels. As we are employing Mobile88 (iPay88) as our payment gateway, Mobile88 will be stated in your credit card statement.
Financial Process Exchange (FPX)
We also accepts FPX payment method as it is an ideal payment solution for customers who does not have a credit card. All that is needed to make an online payment is an online banking account. Payment is directly linked and connected to the customer's specified online banking account, transactions are usually instant and fast. Supported banks includes:
Cash Bank-in / Online Fund Transfer / Cheque
You may bank-in cash or cheque into the selected bank account below:
Bank : PUBLIC BANK
Account Name : YOUBUY ONLINE SDN BHD
Account No. : 3194858935
Bank : MAYBANK
Account Name : YOUBUY ONLINE SDN BHD
Account No. : 514048612629
Once you have successfully bank-in the amount, email the bank in slip to firstname.lastname@example.org with the stated Order No.
PayPal lets you send payments quickly and securely online using a credit card or bank account.
Not valid for cash only items.