Free 8GB SD + DSLR BAG
Featuring a new horizontal swing, vari-angle monitor, full-HD movie recording and Nikon's easy-to-use entry-level menu for easy photography from more angles.
- Horizontal swing-out, vari-angle LCD monitor that gives new viewpoints from flexible angles
Approx. 921k-dot, wide-viewing-angle (170°), 7.5-cm (3-in.) vari-angle LCD monitor. Horizontal swing-out monitor makes it easy to operate even when shooting with a tripod.
- More beautiful and easier movie recording in full HD (1,920 x 1,080/30p) format: D-Movie
You can enjoy recording full HD movies only digital SLR cameras can realize utilizing a variety of exchangeable lenses. Stereo recording is available with the optional stereo microphone.
- Image reproduction with high resolution and rich tonal gradation, equivalent to those of a higher-class model
The D5100 employs an image sensor equivalent to that of the higher-class model, D7000. Furthermore, image processing engine "EXPEED 2" achieves high image quality, high-speed image processing and multiple functions.
- Special effects mode that enables various creative effects in still images and movies.
- 16.2 effective megapixels. Nikon DX-format CMOS sensor.
- Image processing engine "EXPEED 2" that achieves high image quality, high-speed image processing and multiple functions.
- Wide sensitivity range of ISO 100 to 6400, expandable to Hi 2 (ISO 25600 equivalent) delivers sharp images with reduced blur caused by camera shake even in dark lighting situations and sports scenes.
- Fast and accurate 11-point AF system that captures even moving subjects.
- Live View shooting function that lets you focus on a desired point within the frame.
- Scene Auto Selector that automatically selects the most appropriate scene mode according to the shooting scenes or subjects.
- 16 options of Scene Modes enable you to select the most appropriate mode according to your shooting scenes or subjects.
- HDR (High Dynamic Range) that allows you to shoot easily even in a difficult high-contrast scene.
- Lightweight and compact, user-friendly body with superior operability.
- Easy-to-use in-camera image-editing functions such as NEW (RAW) processing, filter effects and edit movie.
Type of Camera:
Single-lens reflex digital camera
Nikon DX format (23.6 x 15.6 mm) CMOS sensor
Image Size (Pixels):
4,928 x 3,264 [L], 3,696 × 2,448 [M], 2,464 × 1,632 [S]; D-movie: 1920 x 1080 / (30fps, 25fps, 24fps), 1280 x 720 / (30fps, 25fps, 24fps), 640 x 424 / (30fps, 25fps)
ISO 100 to 6400 in steps of 1/3, 1/2, or 1 EV, plus HI-0.3, HI-0.5, HI-0.7, HI-1, HI-2 (ISO 25600)
NEF (12 or 14-bit lossless compressed or compressed RAW), JPEG (Baseline-compliant); MOV movie (H.264/MPEG-4 AVC compression format with Linear PCM sound; Stereo sound with external microphone)
SD memory card *1 (SDHC and SDXC compliant)
1) Single frame, 2) Continuous: 4fps, 3) Self-timer, 4) Delayed remote, 5) Quick-response remote, 6) Silent shuttle release, 7) D-Movie
Auto (TTL white-balance with main image sensor and 420-pixel RGB sensor), Incandescent, Fluorescent ( 7 types ), Direct Sunlight, Flash, Cloudy, Shade, preset manual
3.0", 921,000-dot, low-temperature polysilicon TFT LCD, allows up to 170-degree viewing angle, horizontal opening type vari-angle LCD
1) Full-frame, 2) Movie Playback, 3) Thumbnail (4/9/72, calendar) playback, 4) playback zoom, 5) Faces detected during zoom, 6) Slide show, 7) Histogram display, 8) Highlights, 9) Auto image rotation, 10) Image comment
Single image, Selected images, images taken on a selected date, All images (except protected images)
USB 2.0 (High-speed), Video output, HDMI output (Type C mini-pin connector), new 10-pin remote terminal, Connector for external microphone
Picture Angle (in 35mm  format equivalent):
Approx. 1.5x lens focal length
Eye-level pentamirror; built-in diopter adjustment (-1.7 to +0.7m-1)
Type B Brite View clear matte screen Mark VII screen
Viewfinder Frame Coverage/Magnification (with 50mm lens at infinity; -1.0 m-1):
Approx. 95% / Approx. 0.78x
TTL phase detection, 11 focus points (1 cross-sensor) by Nikon Multi-CAM 1000 autofocus module; Detection range: -1 to +19 EV (ISO 100 at 20°C/68°F)
1) Autofocus (AF); Single-servo AF (AF-S); Continuous servo AF (AF-C); Auto AF-S/AF-C selection (AF-A), 2) Manual focus (MF) can be selected from 11 focus area
Exposure Metering System:
1) 3D color matrix metering II (type G and D lenses), color matrix metering II (other CPU lenses), 2) Center-weighted (weight of 75% given to 8-mm circle in center of frame), 3) Spot metering (meters 3.5-mm circle centered on selected focus point)
Exposure Metering Range (at normal temperature [68°F/20°C], ISO 100 equivalent, f/1.4 lens):
1) Matrix or center-weighted metering: 0 - 20 EV 2) Spot metering: 2 - 20 EV (ISO 100, f/1.4, 20°C/68°F)
1) Digital Vari-Program (Auto, Auto [Flash Off], 2) Scene ( portrait, landscape, close up, sports, night portrait, child, auto (flash off), night landscape, party/indoor, beach/snow, sunset, dusk/drawn, pet portrait, candlelight, blossom, autumn colors, food, silhouette, high key, low key), 3) Programmed Auto [P], 4) Shutter-Priority Auto [S], 5) Aperture Priority Auto [A], 6) Manual [M], 7) [Special effects modes] Night vision, color sketch, miniature effect, selective color, silhouette, high key, low key.
Auto Exposure Bracketing:
Exposure bracketing: 3 frames in steps of 1/3 or 1/2 EV
Electronically-controlled vertical-travel focal-plane shutter
X-contact only; flash synchronization at up to 1/200 s or slower
1) i-TTL flash control by 420-segment RGB sensor; i-TTL balanced fill-flash for digital SLR, standard i-TTL flash for digital SLR
Flash Sync Modes:
1) Fill-flash, 2) slow sync, 3) auto slow sync, 4) red-eye reduction, 5) auto with red-eye reduction, 6) slow sync with red-eye reduction, 7) auto slow sync with red-eye reduction, 8) rear-curtain sync, 9) rear-curtain with slow sync
2 s, 5 s, 10 s, 20 s; 1-9 exposures
Depth of Field Preview Button:
Via Wireless Remote Control ML-L3 (optional)
Via GP-1 GPS Unit (optional)
22 languages: Arabic, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish
Rechargeable Li-ion EN-EL14 battery 1030 mAh, EH-5a AC adapter (available separately; requires optional EP-5A power connector )
Battery Life (on a fully charged battery):
Approx 660 shots
1/4 in. (ISO1222)
Approx. 128 x 96.9 x 78.7 mm (5.0 x 3.8 x 3.1 in.)
Weight (without battery, memory card or body cap):
Approx. 509 g (1 lb. 2 oz.)
Supplied Accessories (may differ by country or area):
Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL14, Battery Charger MH-24, Audio Video Cable EG-CP14, USB Cable UC-E6, Eyepiece Cap DK-5, Rubber Eyecup DK-20, Strap AN-DC3, Accessory Shoe Cover BS-1, Body Cap BF-1B, ViewNX 2 CD
Specifications AAF-S DX NIKKOR 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Lens:
Lens Construction (Elements/Groups):
11/8 (1 aspherical lens element)
Picture Angle with Nikon DX Format:
76° - 28°50'
Closest focusing distance:
0.28 m / 0.9 ft (throughout the entire zoom range)
Maximum reproduction ratio:
Filter Attachment Size:
73 x 79.5 mm / 2.9 x 3.1 in.
265 g (9.3 oz)
12 months from the date of purchase. Click here for more details.