Left 4 Dead 2 is set at roughly the same time as the original - just after the outbreak that turned most of the population into various zombie mutants. Players assume the role of 4 new "Survivors," each with their own personality and new dialog. The game leads these "Survivors" through the southeastern region of the US - from Savannah, Georgia thru the bayou country, and climaxing in New Orleans' French Quarter.
- Next generation co-op action gaming from the makers of Half-Life, Portal, Team Fortress and Counter-Strike.
- AI Director 2.0: Advanced technology dubbed "The AI Director" drove L4D's unique gameplay - customizing enemy population, effects, and music, based upon the players' performance. L4D 2 features "The AI Director 2.0" which expands the Director's ability to customize level layout, world objects, weather, and lighting to reflect different times of day.
- New melee weapons - axe, chainsaw, frying pan, baseball bat - allow you to get up close with the zombies.
- Four different survivors. New Story. New dialogue. More game. On day one, L4D 2 features more co-operative campaigns, more campaigns and maps for the Versus game modes than L4D 1, plus support for Survival mode out of the box.
- Stats, rankings, and awards system drives collaborative play.