Compact in size, light weight and fully featured, the Canon XF100 Professional Camcorder can be tailored to fit a wide range of individual needs. While sharing many of the capabilities of the Canon XF305 and XF300 Professional Camcorders, including the Canon XF Codec and Compact Flash (CF) recording, the XF100 offers some exciting new features of its own.
Whether used as a companion to the XF305 or XF300 or as a standalone camcorder, the XF100 is geared for a wide range of applications where high image quality, extreme portability and efficient workflow are of the utmost importance. And with infrared recording and true stereoscopic 3-D production capabilities, the XF100 allows users to explore new creative outlets and emerging markets.
The XF100 utilizes Canon's XF Codec - a file-based MPEG-2 compression with an MXF File Wrapper that ensures the widest compatibility with existing industry infrastructure, metadata and non-linear editing (NLE) systems. The codec's 4:2:2 color sampling provides ultra-fine transitions in tone and color for maintaining the highest image quality needed for advanced post production processing.
The XF100's newly developed Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens along with a Canon native 1920 x 1080 CMOS Image Sensor delivers exceptional image quality. The XF100 also offers multiple recording bit rates, resolutions and variable frame rates to expand creative flexibility, allowing users to work in virtually any production environment.
- MPEG-2 4:2:2 50Mbps Codec (Canon XF Codec): Canon's adaptation of MPEG-2 for the XF100 Professional Camcorder, named the Canon XF Codec, ensures the widest compatibility with existing industry infrastructure and non-linear editing (NLE) systems
- 4:2:2 Color Sampling: 4:2:2 color sampling provides twice the color resolution of HDV and other codecs that use 4:2:0 color sampling
- Record to Compact Flash Cards: The camcorder features two CF card slots and offers versatile recording functions including relay recording, hot swapping, file copy and backup, and pre-record
- Major NLE Software Compatibility: Canon's XF Codec is supported by the industry's leading manufacturers: Adobe, Apple, Avid and Grass Valley. This ensures the widest compatibility with existing infrastructure and non-linear editing (NLE) software
- MXF Wrapper: The XF100 uses Material Exchange Format (MXF) for its file structure - an internationally standardized container format for the exchange of video and audio material. Using the MXF format, video and audio can be wrapped into a single file along with important metadata
- Genuine Canon 10x HD Lens: Canon's optical expertise is clearly seen in the XF100's Genuine Canon 10x HD Video Lens. It delivers flexibility in image capture with a zoom range of 30.4 - 304mm (35mm equivalent)
- Canon Native 1920 x 1080 CMOS Image Sensor: Newly designed and manufactured exclusively by Canon, the XF100 incorporates a native 1/3", 1920 x 1080 CMOS image sensor, delivering superb full HD video recording with minimal noise
- Multiple Bit Rates, Resolution, and Frame Rates: Multiple recording modes, resolutions and frame rates make the XF100 Professional Camcorder creatively flexible and able to work in virtually any production environment
- Canon DIGIC DV III Image Processor: The XF100 features Canon's powerful DIGIC DV III Image Processor, which provides enhanced shading, lifelike tonal gradations, new custom picture settings and lower power consumption
- Built-in 3-D Assist Features: The XF100 has the ability to be paired with another XF100 or XF105 camcorder to provide true stereoscopic 3-D recording. It offers several features to assist with 3-D production including OIS Lens Shift to aid in optically aligning the two camcorders
- Infrared Recording: The XF100 Professional Camcorder features an Infrared Mode allowing users to capture video in conditions with little to no ambient light, a situation which would make other camcorders useless. During infrared capture, the infrared cutoff filter is removed from the optical path
- Brilliant Ergonomics: The XF100 is designed as an ultra-compact camcorder without compromising on features and usability. Its small size makes this camcorder ideal in situations where every inch and ounce count, such as flying to location or going on expedition
- Neutral Density Filter: For enhanced versatility, the XF100 offers a built-in gradation type neutral density (ND) filter (approximately 1/8), as well as an eight-blade metal aperture iris
- SuperRange Optical Image Stabilizer: The XF100 also incorporates a newly designed SuperRange Optical Image Stabilization system (lens shift) with three modes: Standard, Dynamic and Powered
- Instant AF: When shooting high definition video, sharp focus becomes more critical than ever. Canon's proprietary Instant AF system combines an external AF sensor with Canon's legendary auto focus system for fast and accurate focus
- 8-Blade Iris: In contrast to a typical 6-blade iris, the XF100's 8-blade iris captures extraordinarily smooth out-of-focus "bokeh" for a more attractive image effect
- Digital Teleconverter: The Digital Teleconverter extends the reach of the optical zoom, and is selectable by 1.5x, 3x and 6x. This feature is ideal when extreme telephoto shooting is needed such as in sports and wildlife, as well as, surveillance applications for law enforcement and the military
- Slow Motion and Fast Motion: Slow and Fast Motion Modes allow the XF100 to record a different frame rate than the playback frame rate, resulting in either a fast or slow motion effect during playback
- Interval Recording: With this feature, users can program the camera to record a specified number of frames at specified intervals. The technique can be used to observe natural phenomena over extended periods, making it ideal for time-lapse applications
- 3.5" 920K Dot LCD Monitor: A 3.5", 920,000 Dot LCD monitor provides an ample, accurate area for critical focus confirmation and approximately 100% field of view. The display opens on the left side of the camera body
- 260K Dot Electronic Viewfinder: The XF100 features a 0.24", 260,000 Dot Color EVF and approximately 100% field of view coverage for comfortable viewing and accurate judgment of composition. Brightness, contrast, color and backlight are adjustable
- Focus Assist Functions: With Canon's new Edge Monitor Focus Assist system, a red and green monitor is shown at the bottom of the LCD display and three red focus check areas are shown across the display
- Peaking/Magnify: Two peaking modes and a magnify focus assist function are available in standby and record mode (LCD monitor and EVF), making it extremely easy for the XF100 operator to check and confirm critical focus
- Exceptional Customization: Users of the XF100 Professional Camcorder have full manual control of all camera functions to adapt to both technical and artistic challenges when shooting
- Custom Picture Settings: You can manually set an extensive variety of image quality adjustments and store them as 9 different presets in the camera. Up to 20 may be saved to an SD card